Thursday, June 19, 2014

THE MIRRORS



In the sunny day, I woke up and felt that the sun shine to my face. It made my face look shiny and bright. I could feel it. I’m feeling good, feeling good. I’m feeling happy today. I rubbed my eyes and got up happily with bright smile to welcome a bright sunny morning by opening the curtains and window and I could feel the wind hit my face. Birds were chirping and twittering like they wanted to greet and say good morning to me. So beautiful. I was combing my hair gently. Strand by strand fell neatly.

Today, I decided to end my loneliness. Here, I had been trapped with my loneliness in big white house. Trying to feel free as free as birds which fly whenever they want. I prepared myself and made sure I would be good looking today. Looking into the mirror, and I could see a woman was standing in front of me. Having the same height, curly hair but not that curly and was not straight hair either. Her skin was fair. Oh! Come on! It was still white but not shinning bright.

“Oh, do I eat too much? I look fat” the girl asked herself while pinching little fat on her waist.

“No! It can’t happen!” she was running to the window and seeing every woman who passed by in front of her house.

“Wait! They are taller than me, they have bright white skin, straight hair beautifully covering their shoulders, sharp nose, and blue eyes. I think I’m little bit different with them” my confidence suddenly disappeared.

“If I go outside, and I look different, no one will stare at me and look at me as beautiful woman. I’m different! My skin is not bright like them, my hair is not straight like them, it’s not perfect!” she started comparing.

I saw my reflection again, and I started looking flaw by flaw in my body. I found myself utterly unattractive. I could hear my part of body were talking to me.

The hair said, “Oh please, make me more straight”

“Please throw away this fat, it’s really disturbing me”, followed waist

My skin whispered, “If I’m brighter, I think it will be perfect”

***
 I walked in long corridor of my house. I knew, this corridor would bring me to one room. A room, where I would be magically changed into perfect woman. My feet steps reverberated throughout the corridor. There! I could see a big white door. I reached it. It was covered by dust. I pulled at the knob and the door opened. The hinges weep was heard.  however, when I opened the door, I saw different things inside the door. It was white, clean, and smell good. It looked like nobody was dare to touch this room. I could smell the scent of rose. This room was beautiful. It was my mother’s room. The bed was white with white curtains. There were four mirrors, oval shaped and framed beautiful carvings. They were magic mirrors which can helped me in granting my wish.

“Welcome Miss Elena! I have been waiting you for so long” greeted the mirror.

It was man’s voice. It was hoarse sounded like coming out from back throat and a bit loud. Where did the sound come from?



Cut Iza Yurista

January 17, 1993. I’m Acehnese who can’t speak Acehnese. Graduated from SMA Negeri 3 Banda Aceh in 2011 and now study at English Department in Universitas Indonesia. Not yet a writer but like reading so much. I have not published a story and Mirrors is my first story. This story tells about a girl, Elena, who feeling insecure because of her appearance. She thinks that she is not attractive and wants to change flaw by flaw in her body. Then she asks three mirrors to grant her wishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment